Sunday, November 2, 2008

Thank God for Elmo!




I don't really believe in using the television for a babysitting device (ha! ha!) but it sure comes in handy for grandparents. In the summer I purchased "Elmo in Grouchland" and it became an instant hit when Seth and Dylan were visiting for two weeks after Bonnie and Aaron's wedding. Both boys enjoyed the video, on TV or on a portable DVD player in the car. Seth liked it well enough to ask for it when he woke up in the mornings. He'd usually only watch for 20 minutes or so (long enough for me to make his breakfast) but he very clearly said "Elmo" when he wanted to see it. I forgot to mention that Seth has several Elmo characters at home including "Tickle Me Elmo" which is really a riot.

As Seth's vocabulary increased over the last two months he was able to make it very clear to us by saying "I want Elmo!" I have to confess that I did let Elmo do the babysitting probably more often than I should have, but it is "G" rated!! The most memorable was on the trip back to Vegas. POPS and I flew down with the boys on 10/19 and we saved Elmo for the flight! Seth was totally entertained for about an hour on the plane. Whew! The other passengers sitting around us were amazed at how "well behaved" he was. Thank God for Elmo!

No comments: